ICI Pilling Tester 6 box
Pilling is a fabric surface phenomenon characterized by little balls formed by entangled fibers clinging to the surface. These are formed during wearing or washing by the entanglement of the loose fibers, which protrude from the fabric surface, and development of these into spherical bundles anchored to the fabric by a few unbroken fibers. These give a very unsightly look to the garments. To determine the tendency to form pills, test specimens taken from the fabric sample are rubbed against each other under controlled conditions. The appearance of the test specimen, after rubbing for the specified period, is compared against standard rating photographs (Woven pilling photographs and knitted pilling photographs) for grading the fabric. ICI Pilling and Snagging Tester is specially designed equipment to access resistance to pilling of any type of fabrics as per ICI pilling system.
Smith Barney Inc. are now able to offer a technically advanced machine that is easy to use and inexpensive to own.
To determine the pilling and snagging resistance of textile fabrics.
ISO 12945-1,BS 5811,IWSTM 152,NEXT 19,JIS L1076,M&S P18,M&S P21A,BS 8479
The fabrics to be tested must be wound on special pipes of polyurethane (by means of the fitting kit) which are then placed into the cork panelled boxes. After setting the required rotation number (99999 max.), press the function key to start testing. Once the preset cycle is over, the pilling forming on the sample is evaluated and classified by comparison with the special set of standard photographs.
When using the kit for the snagging test, the fabrics deterioration caused by the entangling into pointed materials with known characteristics is simulated.
1. Specially designed equipment to access resistance to pilling of any type of fabrics as per ICI pilling system.
2. Two Pilling Boxes for better efficiency of work.
3. Microprocessor based controller with latest aesthetics.
4.3.2mm Standard cork lining inside the boxes for proper pilling action.
5. Finest Quality Molded Polyurethane Pilling Tubes supplied (16Nos).
6. Specially designed standard size boxes meet the standard specifications.
7. Complete with all accessories-pilling tube, template, 19mm PVC Tape etc.
8. Smooth precision engineered components for excellent performance.
9. Innovative specimen-mounting jig saves efforts and reduces the chance of damage or distortion to the sample.
No. of Boxes
Size of Wooden Boxes inside (Before Cork Lining)
235 x 235 x 235 mm (As Per Standards)
Thickness of Cork Lining
3.2 mm (As Per Standards)
Speed of Rotation of Boxes
60 R.P.M. (± 2 rpm.) (As Per Standards)
Size of Test Specimen
Length 140 mm + 1 mm (As Per Standards)
Diameter 31.5 mm + 1 mm
Wall Thickness 3.2 mm + 0.5 mm
Weight 52.25 gms. + 1 gms
Digital Counter (Preset Type)
220V, 50Hz or 110V, 60Hz